Wednesday, June 11, 2008

command-not-found handler not only in Ubuntu

One of Ubuntu's strengths is that it pays attention to the little things. One of these things, which were important to me lately, was the command_not_found_handler in bash.

In layman's terms, when you open a terminal in Ubuntu and type a command, which is not on your system, it looks in a database and in a helpful way suggests that you can get this command if you install a certain package. I was using apt-file to provide the same functionality for a while, but this is both easier and more informative (apt-file scans for substrings of the whole path, so spits out a lot of false positives, which are not commands).

Now as happy as I am in using Ubuntu on my personal machine, I wanted to have this at work, too. I wanted to make it easy for my colleagues who forget to ssh/sudo before executing a command and prepend an appropriate string if the command doesn't work on this machine. Ubuntu can accomplish this trick thanks to a patch of bash, which adds a hook, called command_not_found_handler, but OpenSUSE/SLES is installed at work and this function is missing.

I had the feeling I can do this in bash only, and then I found this blog entry. Only I didn't quite like how it's implemented, though I liked the idea. Benjamin (the blog author) suggested that the check if the last command was successful is done at each prompt, so it is evaluated even if you press enter on an empty line. Besides, to obtain the last command, the whole history was retrieved only to extract the last entry.

The reason Benjamin's hook was done like that is that history expansion didn't work in noninteractive shells. I also tried to enable it by using set -H, but with no luck.

I thought that using a trap would be better than a prompt command. There was a trap, which would be evaluated only on error, so my first draft was based on the trap ERR hook. Then I would check if the exit status of the last command was 127 ("command not found" for bash) and... use the command. By chance I found out quickly about BASH_COMMAND, which in traps is evaluated to the currently executing command. But after a lot of failed attempts I found out that it only worked with the DEBUG trap.

So I used the DEBUG trap and evaluated the last command- if it could be resolved using type, then it is found. Slower, but more accurate. And it worked!


trap 'if ! type -t $BASH_COMMAND >/dev/null; then echo Do something with $BASH_COMMAND; fi' DEBUG


Now my colleagues are happily executing commands, which are only found on remote servers, oblivious to the fact that this command is transparently executing on a host different than their own.

No comments: